Thursday 28 June 2012

Entrepreneurs in the Making


Most of us have watched the HSBC advert where a young girl is selling lemonade to pedestrians. Every time I watch it, it reminds me of the time when my cousins and I, started our own mini business while on summer holiday in our village. We set up a stall in the driveway outside the house, selling brightly coloured rocks, for 10 pence/rock.
Although our business (if you could call it that) wasn’t much to talk about, it was the first time I had experienced the feeling of doing something whose sole purpose, was to earn some money.

During my last year at secondary school, I was part of a team selling “Leaver’s Hoodies” to students graduating that year. I particularly liked this project as it made me feel I was in an episode of the Apprentice. This task had made me realise, to some extent, what sort of stages a business idea has to go through - from research and development to production and selling. Although this was “homework” to us, the project was profitable and won first prize.
Throughout our lives, we learn new skills, which prepare us to face an uncertain employment future. Having these abilities, a time may come when we will think, “I have a great business idea. How can I best utilise my expertise, to build a business that will generate income to benefit myself and my family?”
Ideas never stop being generated, and in business, there are always hurdles that need to be overcome as founder of Virgin, Richard Branson, once said “Ideas are like buses. There is always one coming along.” Looking back at the hoodies and the coloured rocks, I thought that I would enjoy a project like that again. During the summer, some friends, with the help of our university, will be setting up a new magazine named “StudentPedia” and have asked for my help. This magazine will be for first year students in particular, advising on how to survive the transition from secondary school to university, as best as possible, as this is a tricky process. So make sure you look out for StudentPedia in the near future!

Taking into consideration the current economic climate, and the number of people out of work, more people turn to self – employment. The latest book I have been reading is called, “How I Made It” by Rachel Bridge (published in 2005). This book is a collection of success stories of entrepreneurs that have created their businesses and achieved so much from very little. My favourite story is that of Lizzie Vann, an investment banker turned organic baby food maker. As a child, she suffered badly from asthma and eczema. When she grew older, she realised the link between food and her condition. Now, her business sells more that 10 million jars of baby food per year.
This shows that a good business idea can come to anyone of us; all you have to do is follow your dreams, and don’t let anyone put you down. All you have to do is have a little faith and you can go far. You haven't failed until you stop.


Ellie Fanis

This post first appeared in The Accountant (June 2012)

)

1 comment:

  1. It gets better and better and better..well done.. :-)

    ReplyDelete

ZuluTrade - Autotrade the Forex Market like never before!